how to get random numbers from a distribution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81465] how to get random numbers from a distribution
  • From: tdoxmail at gmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 04:19:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi ya alll

I am a new Mathematica user.
I have a function that i use to generate a probability distribution
(eg x^2). I want a random number generator, that should generate
values from this probability distribution only,

I know this Random function in mathematica, that can generate in
particular range, but how do i tell to generate from a particular
distribution.

I created a list of values using my probability function but not able
to integrate it with Random function so that random numnber takes
value from that  list.

Also I googled and saw some function like RandomChoice and some other
but they are available in Mathematica6 and i use 5.2.

Can u help with this.

Thanks in advace