Re: how to get random numbers from a distribution

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg81474] Re: how to get random numbers from a distribution
  • From: dh <dh at>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 06:23:44 -0400 (EDT)

here is a simple and general method. Assume we have a random variable in

the range {lb,ub}. Further, p is the probabilitiy density function in

the same range. This means: Integral p[x],{x,lb,ub}]==1. Then we can get

the next random number with the chosen distribution by:

here is a Gaussian example in the range {0,2}:

hope this helps, Daniel