Re: Higher order total derivatives

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg81583] Re: Higher order total derivatives
  • From: dh <dh at>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 02:13:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Janus,

Mathematica is a pattern matcher. The pattern Dt[x, {t, 2}] does not

appear in your definitions. Specifically, it is not interpreted as

Dt[Dt[x,t],t]. Therefore, you must a give a rule that unravels

Dt[x,{t,2}]. E.g.:

I associate the rule with Dt because t is too deeply nested for an

hope this helps, Daniel