Exporting the Notebook expression corresponding to a DocumentNotebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81591] Exporting the Notebook expression corresponding to a DocumentNotebook
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 02:18:02 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Men and Women...

Here is something that is perhaps a useful thing to include in a
future version of Mathematica.  Does anyone know how to do this with
the current functionality of Mathematica 6?

I'd like a function called ToNotebookExpression that takes the results
of a DocumentNotebook, for example

docnb=DocumentNotebook[{x + y, 1/x + 1/y}];

and returns the Notebook expression corresponding to it.

The following does do this, but it has to display the notebook in the
front end first:

Module[{nb,nbg},

   nb=CreateDocument[ docnb]]
   nbg=NotebookGet[nb];
   NotebookClose[nb];
   nbg
]

One reason for wanting this, is that I'd like to create a
DocumentNotebook inside of a program and then use Export to write the
Notebook out to a .nb file.  (Of course I can create the
NotebookExpressoin using lower-level constructs, but I want to take at
more Mathematica 6-ish path to this.) If one does Export["file.nb",
docnb,"NB"] then the resulting saved notebook has the embedded
DocumentNotebook expression, rather than what is generated when acting
with CreateDocument[docnb].

Any thoughts, or is this what I need to do for now?

Either way, I pass this on to WRI as a suggestion for a
ToNotebookExpression-like function.

--David

http://scientificarts.com/worklife
A WorkLife FrameWork
E x t e n d i n g MATHEMATICA's Reach...