"Table" in Mathematica takes too long

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81610] "Table" in Mathematica takes too long
  • From: rspektor <contactme at rspektor.com>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 02:28:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,
I am a fairly inexperienced Mathematica user.
I am trying to solve a complex and very complicated equation and
generate a list of solutions for variable parameter kx. The equation
is in the form DD(kx, w) = 0. Two relevant Mathematica lines from my
code are:

SOL =Solve[DD == 0, w];
RE1 = Table[Evaluate[Re[w /. SOL]], {ky, kylow, kyhigh, kystep}];

For some reason the last line hangs. I'd attribute it to the
complexity of the equation, however the following line works just
fine, and produces plot very quickly,

Plot[Evaluate[Re[w /. SOL]], {ky, kylow, kyhigh}]

Can anyone suggest a way to make the "Table" line work? I need to
export the solutions to a different program, so I do need to get to
the numbers - looking at the pretty plot is not enough. :)
Is there an alternative way to extract the list of solutions, say from
the Plot.

Thanks!