Exporting Arrays

I hope someone has a solution to this.

Is there a way in Mathematica 6 to export a 2d array as an image (tiff for example) while preserving the data and structure?

Specifically if I had a 1000x1000 array comprised of integer values from 0-65535 how can I export this as a 1000x1000 pixel 16bit image with the actual values preserved and not scaled in any manner?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.