Re: Version 6 won't import Excel (Mac)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81597] Re: Version 6 won't import Excel (Mac)
  • From: dflatin at rcn.com
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 02:21:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Sep 28, 2:14 am, Murray Eisenberg <mur... at math.umass.edu> wrote:
> A colleague who uses a Mac with MacOS 10.4.10 has the following
> Mathematica 6 problem: He cannot get Import to work with either an .xls
> file or a .csv file created from an Excel spreadsheet.
>
> Instead, the resulting Output cell just contains a button that says
> "Import" followed by the arguments used to call Import in square
> brackets.  Clicking the button just opens the Documentation Center
> window to the page for "ref/Import" which describes how to use the function.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this on Macs?  Does Mathematica 6 possibly
> use Java, and could there be some configuration problem involving that?
> --

I just created a simple Excel document with two sheets and tried the
import function. It appears to work on my PowerBook running MacOS X
10.4.10 using Excel 2004. Perhaps there is an issue with embedded
macros in your colleague's document.

$Version
"6.0 for Mac OS X PowerPC (32-bit) (June 19, 2007)"

Import["/Users/dan/Desktop/test.xls"]

Dan