Re: CompleteCharacters Palette in v6?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81600] Re: [mg81579] CompleteCharacters Palette in v6?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 02:23:29 -0400 (EDT)

The short answer:  No, but you can beg, borrow, or steal -- well, maybe
not steal -- the Version 5.x Complete Characters palette and use it with
Mathematica 6.x.  Just put it into the SystemFiles/FrontEnd/Palettes
subdirectory of your $UserAddOnsDirectory.

The long answer:  There's a "Special Characters" palette in Version 6
that includes all those characters.  But some of us find it quite
awkward to use: First you have to click a drop-down list in the palette
to select the class of character.  Second, you have to click the
character on the resulting page on the palette,  Third, you have to
click an Insert button there.

The pre-version 6 "Complete Characters" palette I found much easier to
use, as it was organized more like a notebook with the various general
categories (Letters, Letter-like Forms, etc.) and sub-categories (Greek,
Script, etc.) presented like section and sub-section groups that could
be opened or closed with a click on a group-open-close-icon.  The whole
palette could be quickly scrolled vertically.  And, finally,
double-clicking the character inserted it into the selected notebook.
No further Insert button action was required.

That WRI supplanted the Complete Characters palette with the Special
Characters palette is to my mind one of the dumbest design decisions
made forversion 6.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305