Remote kernel only works with "raw mathlink connection" selected

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81645] Remote kernel only works with "raw mathlink connection" selected
  • From: "Darryl Yong" <darrylyong at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 04:03:05 -0400 (EDT)

I am having trouble using a remote kernel on a linux machine from my
Windows XP frontend.

I have two Linux machines on which I can run a remote kernel.  One
runs "Mathematica 6.0 for Linux x86 (64-bit)", one runs "Mathematica
6.0 for Linux x86 (32-bit)".

I have no trouble getting the remote kernel to run on the 32-bit
machine, but I am having trouble getting the remote kernel to run on
the 64-bit machine. Windows XP firewall has been disabled, so I don't
think it's a problem with ports being blocked.

The settings that I have created for both are identical, save the
machine name.  But, when I connect to the 64-bit machine, the frontend
crashes (stops responding) and I have to kill the frontend process on
my Windows XP machine.

MLOpen arguments:
-LinkMode Listen -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkOptions MLDontInteract

Shell command:
plink.exe user@remotemachine -i <my putty key file>
"/shared/local/bin/math -mathlink -LinkMode Connect -LinkProtocol
TCPIP -LinkName `linkname` -LinkHost `ipaddress`"

Both "Translate return into newline" and "Raw Mathlink connection" are
unchecked.

However, if I choose "Raw MathLink Connection" for the 64-bit machine,
I am able to run computations on that machine remotely.  The problem
is, of course, that you can't do anything that involves graphics.

Does anyone have any hints on how to troubleshoot remote kernel
connections?  I've read through most of the messages on this group
related to remote kernels and haven't found anything that has worked
yet.

Thanks in advance.