Re: Derivative of a Conjugate

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg87244] Re: Derivative of a Conjugate
  • From: dh <dh at>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 04:23:25 -0500 (EST)

Hi David,

Conjugate is not an analytic function. Consider:

r=x+I y; z[r]= x+I y; Conjugate[z[r]]= x-I y;

dz= dx + I dy; dConjugate[z]= dx -I dy

now take the differential quotient and you see that the derivative

depends on the direction. That is why Mathematica does not evaluate

If dr is real you may e.g. use a rule to get what you want:

expression /. Conjugate'[y_[x_]]:= Conjugate[y'[x]]

hope this helps, Daniel