Import .xlsx files

Is Import capable of reading Excel files stored in the new MSXML file
format (.xslx)?  A quick trial shows that it is not, but maybe I am
not doing something right.

I am aware that I could write a function to dig into the .xslx as a
zip archive, retrieve the .xml files, and try to extract the cell
values, but I am lazy and hoping somebody else did that for me already.