Re: Import .xlsx files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87370] Re: Import .xlsx files
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 05:52:17 -0400 (EDT)

dr DanW wrote:
> Is Import capable of reading Excel files stored in the new MSXML file
> format (.xslx)?  A quick trial shows that it is not, but maybe I am
> not doing something right.
>
> I am aware that I could write a function to dig into the .xslx as a
> zip archive, retrieve the .xml files, and try to extract the cell
> values, but I am lazy and hoping somebody else did that for me already.

Why don't you export to CSV instead?  Excel uses an extremely complex
format, not really suitable for data exchange (unless Excel is the only
software used for analysing the data), while implementing a CSV reader
is trivial in any general purpose language.  And Mathematica reads CSVs
reliably out of the box.