noob questions :)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87340] noob questions :)
  • From: <markus.mooslechner at chello.at>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 05:36:22 -0400 (EDT)

hi everyone!

first of all i would like to introduce myself. being an artist i am mainly engaged in the visualization of chaotic systems such as iterated function systems or strange attractors from experimental data. i consider myself a completely mathematica noob (willing to learn ::)) i got introduced to mathematica by a friend who works in the math institute at our local university (hence, that's where i spent most of my recent time ... lol). to get myself started with the project i have in mind i could use some help, which i have not found in the databases yet:

- how can i tell mathematica to import a three-column (x,y,z) txt file and do a 3d plot from the values. i already messed with the ListPlot3D command , unfortunately to no avail. the file containing the experimental data looks something like this:
point,x,y,z
1,34,21,45
2,32,53,76
3,12,23,43
4,45,21,87
5,65,76,87
etc

- how can i then tell mathematica to color certain values from this data list with a color from my choice? eg: color the values X "red" (X could be something like the mean value of the entire list)

- is the a function that makes a list from an irrational number such as PI according to the above list format? something like 3.14159265...
x,y,z
1,4,1
5,9,2
6,5,.
.,.,.,.
etc

looking really forward to get the hang of it and then get the program at my own place to integrate it in my work.
looking forward to your help & thank you for your time :)

markus

www.humanchaos.net