Re: question on player pro

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87387] Re: [mg87350] question on player pro
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 05:55:30 -0400 (EDT)

There is no compiling process...we're just dealing with regular notebooks here.
Simply opening and evaluating the notebook (or using dynamic interfaces) in
Player Pro should work fine.  There are some limitations, but not many...we're
really talking about a full Mathematica kernel.  A useful table is here...

http://www.wolfram.com/solutions/interactivedeployment/compare.html

As an executive summary for the kinds of things I suspect you might be
interested in, I'd note most specifically, that Player Pro users can not...

* Type in notebooks, except in InputFields.
* Use GUIKit or .NET/Link (they're simply not included in Player Pro)
* Use any alternative front end to the kernel; for example, writing your own
J/Link interface to the kernel.
* Load plain-text packages, although .mx files and packages encoded with
Encode[] are perfectly okay.

Note that Premier Service subscribers get three free Player Pro license, which
you may use for your own experimentation or distribute to other users as you see
fit.  More info about that here...

http://www.wolfram.com/products/playerpro/developerkit.html

If you have any other questions, ask away.  I know from experience that the
Player Pro concept can generate a lot of questions, since there are a lot of
unusual ways people might want to use it which we may not have considered or
clearly outlined in our case studies...

http://www.wolfram.com/solutions/interactivedeployment/casestudies.html

I'm not the best person to answer detailed licensing issues, but I'm happy to
address any technical or conceptual issues.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group