A Problem with Simplify

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg87419] A Problem with Simplify
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <Kevin.McCann at>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 02:12:11 -0400 (EDT)

I have the following rather simple integral of two sines, which should
evaluate to zero if m is not equal to n and to L/2 if they are the same.

The following is just fine

Imn = Simplify[Integrate[
        {x, 0, L}]]

However, if I specify that m and n are integers, I only get the
"general" solution of zero, i.e. when m and n are not equal.

Imn = Simplify[Integrate[
      Element[m, Integers] &&
        Element[n, Integers]]

The workaround is obvious in this case, but shouldn't mma give multiple
answers? Perhaps something similar to what it already does with Integrate?

Kevin J. McCann
Research Associate Professor
Physics Building
1000 Hilltop Circle