Re: JLink Problem, Fixed More or Less

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg87460] Re: JLink Problem, Fixed More or Less
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <Kevin.McCann at>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 01:43:10 -0400 (EDT)

Interesting. Here we have a related problem without the locking up of
Mathematica. Every time a user uses F1 to get help a strange JLink error
message hpops up, often in a super large font that eventually reverts to its
usual. Happily I have ignored this without ill effect. It is annoying

Helen Read wrote:
> Several months ago I reported a problem with Jlink that has become
> rampant on University-owned and home computers since approximately
> December or January. Basically what happens is that some / most of the
> time when launching Mathematica, Mathematica will hang, and eventually
> pops up an error about failing to connect to Jlink. Usually you can
> ignore the message and go on, but sometimes worse things happen unless
> you restart Mathematica. We have also had problems with Mathematica
> hanging when trying to open up the Documentation Center (though I think
> the Documentation Center issue may be a bit better with the 6.0.2 release).
> We never saw the Jlink problem until we began switching machines from
> Norton Antivirus to NOD32 in December/January, at which time the problem
> became rampant, even on quite speedy new machines. We were hightly
> suspicious that the problem was related to NOD32, but WRI Tech Support
> never was able to tell us what the issue was or how to fix it, and
> several people from WRI assured us that NOD32 was not the culprit.
> Well finally, the whole thing had become so aggravating that we tried
> temporarily disabling NOD32 on a few test machines. What we found was
> that the problem stopped when NOD32 was disabled, and returned when
> NOD32 was turned  back on. We then tried adding the Mathematica
> installation directory to the NOD32 exclusions, which seems to fix the
> problem.
> All's well that ends well I guess, and I suppose we should have trusted
> our own instincts about NOD32 and tested it ourselves far sooner than this.

Kevin J. McCann
Research Associate Professor
Physics Building
1000 Hilltop Circle