Re: JLink Problem, Fixed More or Less

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87493] Re: JLink Problem, Fixed More or Less
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 05:57:03 -0400 (EDT)

Kevin J. McCann wrote:
> Interesting. Here we have a related problem without the locking up of
> Mathematica. Every time a user uses F1 to get help a strange JLink error
> message hpops up, often in a super large font that eventually reverts to its
> usual. Happily I have ignored this without ill effect. It is annoying
> though.
>
> Kevin
>
> Helen Read wrote:
>> Several months ago I reported a problem with Jlink that has become
>> rampant on University-owned and home computers since approximately
>> December or January. Basically what happens is that some / most of the
>> time when launching Mathematica, Mathematica will hang, and eventually
>> pops up an error about failing to connect to Jlink. Usually you can
>> ignore the message and go on, but sometimes worse things happen unless
>> you restart Mathematica. We have also had problems with Mathematica
>> hanging when trying to open up the Documentation Center (though I think
>> the Documentation Center issue may be a bit better with the 6.0.2 release).
>>
>> We never saw the Jlink problem until we began switching machines from
>> Norton Antivirus to NOD32 in December/January, at which time the problem
>> became rampant, even on quite speedy new machines. We were hightly
>> suspicious that the problem was related to NOD32, but WRI Tech Support
>> never was able to tell us what the issue was or how to fix it, and
>> several people from WRI assured us that NOD32 was not the culprit.
>>
>> Well finally, the whole thing had become so aggravating that we tried
>> temporarily disabling NOD32 on a few test machines. What we found was
>> that the problem stopped when NOD32 was disabled, and returned when
>> NOD32 was turned  back on. We then tried adding the Mathematica
>> installation directory to the NOD32 exclusions, which seems to fix the
>> problem.
>>
>> All's well that ends well I guess, and I suppose we should have trusted
>> our own instincts about NOD32 and tested it ourselves far sooner than this.

I would install Mathematica on a clean Windows machine, and check that
it is glitch free, and then add back the other software piece by piece -
starting with the antivirus code.

I use J/Link a lot, and I have never seen any of these startup glitches,
so I guess WRI were in the same state of unawareness when they decided
it was safe enough to use for essential tasks such as displaying help!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk