Re: A Problem with Simplify

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87546] Re: A Problem with Simplify
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:02:42 -0400 (EDT)

Just to demonstrate my assertion that returning the answer in terms of
Sinc does not solve the general problem here is a slightly different
example:

  Simplify[Integrate[Exp[(2 m*I *Pi*x)/L]*Exp[(2 n*Pi*I*x)/L], {x, 0,
L}],
  Assumptions -> Element[m | n, Integers]]
  0

Simplify[Integrate[Exp[(m*I*Pi*x)/L]*
        Exp[(n*Pi*I*x)/L], {x, 0, L}],
    Assumptions -> Element[m | n, Integers] &&
        m == -n]
Indeterminate

Simplify[Integrate[Exp[(0*I *Pi*x)/L]*Exp[(0*Pi*I*x)/L], {x, 0, L}]]

There are certainly lots of others of this kind. I don't see a panacea
for all of them.

Andrzej Kozlowski