Re: Re: Product

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg87595] Re: [mg87558] Re: Product
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 05:42:09 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry about my typo "@" instead of "@@".

Yes, of course that's what I was referring to: including a special,
additional function that does what a special case of a more general

But simplicity and elegance of the language is only one design
consideration.  Another is usability.  I can see someone coming to
Mathematica who, among other things, just wants to get some computations =

done that involve adding up a list of numbers, who would prefer to be
able to use a single function Total rather than the combination of Plus
and Apply.

Szabolcs Horv=E1t wrote:
> Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>> But of course Total is also redundant!  Plus @ {1,2,3,4}
>> So the issue is one of language design: when does a particular case of=
>> more general construction occur so frequently that a special function
>> should be introduced for it.
> ...Personally I think that the *syntax* Total[list] provides nothing ov=
> Plus @@ list, so just because summation is a common operation, a new
> syntax should not be introduced for it.  In fact I would consider the
> introduction of too many redundant constructs bad language design.

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305