Re: Documentation - what is the big secret?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg87624] Re: Documentation - what is the big secret?
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 06:53:58 -0400 (EDT)

Karen Bindash wrote:
> On 10 Apr, 07:16, Jens-Peer Kuska <ku... at>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> the secret is called "Wolfram Workbench 1.2" ..
>> Regards
>>    Jens
> But Workbench 1.2 is no excuse for not documentating the method to
> produce documentation (there is a certain irony here). It is about a
> year ago that 6.0 was released and to leave it a year and still not
> have the information publically available seems bizare to me.
> There are 1001 tools designed specifically for creating web pages, yet
> many people, myself included, prefer to use a text editor and write
> PHP and HTML. At least give us that choice.
> And of course, 1.2 is not out, there is not even a link to download a
> beta of 1.2.
I absolutely agree with that! The Workbench should sell itself because
of its intrinsic utility, NOT because certain vital functions are
arbitrarily delegated to run on it!

I would be very interested to know how useful people have found the
Workbench. I tried to use it, but didn't have the time or patience to
learn a wholly different way of working. When I last looked at it, the
WB did not even display Mathematica characters - such as \[Breve] - in
Unicode form.

Maybe I am missing a whole new level of productivity - I would quite
like to know!

David Bailey