Re: Mathematica Player Pro!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87634] Re: Mathematica Player Pro!
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 05:46:03 -0400 (EDT)

David Park wrote:

<snip>

> I think some time ago I read that Mathematica notebooks would be accepted as
> documents on the physics and mathematical arXives. But I have never seem one
> there and if any exist they are vanishingly few. Everything is Postscript or
> pdf. Mathematica notebooks would be far superior except for the available
> readership.

David,

Though the "arXiv Palette and Style Sheet for Mathematica Users" is
still advertised on WRI's website [1], arXiv documentation clearly
states that they will not accept Mathematica notebook as mean of
publishing [2]:

"Mathematica Notebook Submissions

Support for Mathematica has been discontinued (January 2004). If you use
Mathematica please submit PDF instead. If you wish to archive
Mathematica source files with your submission you may include them in a
sub-directory so that they are not picked up by our processing system."

> Providing Mathematica Player Pro free to everyone would unleash a torrent of
> Mathematica use that would eclipse its present reach. More people would
> write and distribute Mathematica notebooks because they would know that
> everybody could read them. More people would read them (and how could they
> help but be impressed!) and decide they wanted to write notebooks also. It
> would be the second revolution. I believe it is by far the superior business
> model. I just cross my fingers and hope the folks at WRI will come to the
> same conclusion.

I totally second that and cross my fingers too :-)

Best regards,
Jean-Marc

[1] http://wolfram.com/solutions/publishing/stylearxiv.html

[2] http://aps.arxiv.org/help/submit_nb