Re: Debugger

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87897] Re: Debugger
  • From: ragfield <ragfield at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 03:37:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 18, 1:43 am, PaulB <pbee... at byram4hills.org.invalid> wrote:
> Sorry for the newbie post but I wanted to get started with the debugger in=

> Mathematica 6.0 and I can't seem to find any documentation other than the
> simple description of the buttons.  On a Mac (OSX dual core machine) I c=
an't
> seem to get the interactive debugger to work.  Can anyone point me towar=
d some
> documentation examples or HOWTO simple examples to get me started.

Here's a brief example:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/=
thread/722199eb253b8c31/34ae8abaaa1a5a45#34ae8abaaa1a5a45

The most common gotcha to the Mathematica debugger is that it only
works for code which has been evaluated *after* the debugger has been
enabled.  You can evaluate a function, turn on the debugger, then
debug code which uses that function.  You must first turn on the
debugger, then evaluate all function definitions you wish to debug,
then you can set working breakpoints and step through code.

-Rob