Re: installing Player Pro killed using Mathematica itself: BEWARE!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88044] Re: installing Player Pro killed using Mathematica itself: BEWARE!
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 04:05:47 -0400 (EDT)

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> With an existing installation of Mathematica 6.0.2 under Windows, I just
> installed Player Pro.  The result: if I start Mathematica itself and
> open a new notebook there, I am prohibited from typing any and all input.
>
> This sort of thing is intolerable!  An utterly time-frittering aggravation.
>
> I suspect that the scenario involved here was not tested by WRI:  My
> mathpass for Mathematica itself is in the Licensing subdirectory of my
> USERBASE directory, which is the same as my BASE directory (both set by
> Windows environment variables MATHEMATICA_BASE and MATHEMATICA_USERBASE).
>
> This is hardly the first time I have run into trouble with multiple
> passwords from multiple Wolfram Research products.  It is something they
> have just not yet gotten right.  Beware!
>
> What I did as a temporary fix was to use my Windows backup program to
> restore my pre-existing mathpass file.  Now regular Mathematica works.
> But of course Player Pro does not.

Murray,

Maybe you could use both products on the same machine by changing the
MATHEMATICA_BASE/MATHEMATICA_USERBASE environment variable when you
switch from one to the other (and on initial installation).

I do agree about your complaint though, mathpass files are obviously
encrypted, but it would be nice if in all other ways their behaviour was
transparent.

David