Re: Print[Plot] vs Print[text,Plot]? (*now Do and Table*)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88123] Re: Print[Plot] vs Print[text,Plot]? (*now Do and Table*)
  • From: Alexey Popkov <popkov at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 05:29:58 -0400 (EDT)

And I was surprised much more when I have tried the more simple form
of the first expression:

Timing[icount = 0;
 Do[icount += i, {i, 1, 10000000, 1}];
 icount]
(*this returns
{36.042, 50000005000000}
on my machine*)

It means that using the "+=" operator takes about 50% more time than
the usual form
icount = icount + i;
It is sad and very surprising!