Re: Does Mathematica really need more printed, introductory documentation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88250] Re: Does Mathematica really need more printed, introductory documentation?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 06:51:45 -0400 (EDT)

On 4/28/08 at 4:37 AM, siegman at stanford.edu (AES) wrote:

>>Judging by quite many "ordinary  users" I known, the views you have
>>been expressing, particularly those on the need for printed
>>software manuals rather make you a memeber of a minority, and
>>moreover a rather rapidly declining one. I for one, . . .

>Does Mathematica really need printed, more introductory level
>documentation (aka books, or manuals) to add to its excellent, but
>less readable, online documentation?

Given the number of what I believe are reasonably successful
third party books on Mathematic, it seems clear there is a need.

<snip>

>A quick look at amazon.com then brings up a list of at least twelve
>(12) such introductory books or manuals on Illustrator (list
>appended below). All of these books are currently available in stock
>on amazon (and three are on my bookshelf) --- as compared to _none_
>(as yet, anyway) for Mathematica 6.

Given it has only been a few months since Mathematica 6 was
released and the time it takes to write any text and get it
published it should not be surprising there are not any third
party books on Mathematica yet. But given the number of books
published for previous versions, it seems certain there will be
books for version 6 in due time.