Help with StyleSheets

 I'm working with Mathematica 6, and I'm having trouble working with
StyleSheets.  What I'm looking to do is to change the formatting of the
"Input" style.

Here's what I did:

1.  Open a new Notebook.

2.  Format > Edit StyleSheet

3.  Choose a Style to Modify > Input

4.  Make sure the Input cell is selected and go to:  Format > Font

5.  Make the appropriate changes.

 After I did that, the appropriate sections in the Untitled-1 notebook
changed to reflect the size and bold/normal status, but that's it.  The font
itself didn't change.

 What did I miss?

Stephen