Re: No preferences for OSX

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91188] Re: No preferences for OSX
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 07:18:05 -0400 (EDT)

Franco Milicchio wrote:

> I am new to Mathematica, since I just got my license from my
> university. So, forgive if this is a recurrent topic, but in the
> archives I didn't find anything about this problem.
>
> I copied the application and registered just fine, I tried it and the
> kernel works. Unfortunately, the "Preferences" menu is disabled, so I
> can't set, for example, my own color scheme.
>
> Is this a normal behavior for "university licenses"? Did you see
> something like this in your experience?
 >
> Thank you!
>

> PS. I am running OSX 10.5 and Mathematica 6.0.3.

This is not a normal behavior. This might be an issue related to --
erroneous -- file permissions. The following procedure might solve your
problem.

Start "Disk Utility" (located in /Applications/Utilities), then select
the disk where Mathematica is installed, check the check box "Show
details" and click on "Verify Disk Permissions." If any incorrect file
permissions are reported, click on "Repair Disk Permissions."

Note that it might be a good idea to check the hard disk itself. Click
on "Verify Disk", then on "Repair Disk" (grayed by default) if needed.

HTH,
-- Jean-Marc