Re: fractional derivative (order t) of (Log[x])^n and Log[Log[x]]

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg91288] Re: fractional derivative (order t) of (Log[x])^n and Log[Log[x]]
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 04:41:45 -0400 (EDT)

hanrahan398 at wrote:

> I'd be grateful if someone could tell me a nicely computable formula
> for the fractional derivative w.r.t. x (order t) of (Log[x])^n, where
> n is a positive integer.

> (I have visited:
> <>, and
> there is a formula there for the t-th (fractional) derivative of
> Log[x]^n, but I do not understand how to input it!!

You may have not notice but if you look at the upper-left corner below
the graphic, more or less at the same level at the section title
"Elementary Functions  Log[z]  Differentiation", you can see a paragraph
titled "DOWNLOAD FORMULAS FOR THIS FUNCTION": just below it you can
choose to download the file as a Mathematica notebook or as PDF.

Then you can explore and manipulate the formulae directly from within
Mathematica. For instance,

    D[Log[z], {z, \[Alpha]}] ==
        {{((-1)^(\[Alpha] - 1)*
                 (\[Alpha] - 1)!)/z^\[Alpha],
                Integers] &&
              \[Alpha] > 0}},
        (Log[z] - EulerGamma -
               PolyGamma[1 - \[Alpha]])/
            Gamma[1 - \[Alpha]]/z^\[Alpha]]]

             -(-1)  Gamma[\[Alpha]]

      \[Alpha] \[Element] Integers && \[Alpha] > 0}},

    -HarmonicNumber[-\[Alpha]] +

          z  Gamma[1 - \[Alpha]]

     ] == Log   [z]

-- Jean-Marc