Re: No Memory Available

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg91334] Re: No Memory Available
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 05:53:50 -0400 (EDT)

Adel Elsabbagh wrote:

> I am using NDSolve to do integration in time for 24 variables. I can choose
> only to do the integration for a short time range, otherwise I get the
> error:
> No more memory available.
> Mathematica kernel has shut down.
> Try quitting other applications and then retry.

> Is there a way I can increase the allocated memory even virtually, or may be

Though you did not tell us, I believe you are using a 32-bit system,
which mean that depending on the combination of hardware and operating
system, a user process can get between 2 and about 3 GB of virtual
memory maximum. This is hardware (Intel, AMD, PowerPC, Sparc,
...)/operating system (Linux, UNIX, MAC OS X, Windows
98/Me/XP/Vista/Server2003...) dependent.

> tell Mathematica to wipe the memory out during the run?

ClearSystemCache["Numeric"] or ClearSystemCache[] might help reclaiming
some memory (assuming you are using version 6.x.x).

Anyway, it is really hard to be specific without any hint about your
hardware, software, and the system you are trying to solve.

-- Jean-Marc