Re: No Memory Available

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg91337] Re: No Memory Available
  • From: "Jean-Marc Gulliet" <jeanmarc.gulliet at>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 05:54:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Adel Elsabbagh  wrote:

> I have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (2.66GHz), with 3GB ram. OS is 32 bit
> windows XP Pro.
> I am using Mathematica 6.0

[... Cross posted to MathGroup ...]

OK. AFAIK, the default/standard system configuration of Windows XP
Professional 32-bit edition allows only 2 GB of memory per user
process, i.e. each individual user/application process will not be
allowed by the operating system to request memory over this 2 GB
limit, even though the theoretical limit is 4 GB on a 32-bit system.

Now, there exist two switches for this version of Windows that allows
the system to allocate up to 3 GB per user process. See the following
articles [1, 2] to get detailed explanations and directions about how
to use them:

"On 32-bit versions of Windows, the /3GB parameter enables 4-gigabyte
(GB) random access memory (RAM) Tuning, a feature that enlarges the
user-mode virtual address space to 3 GB and restricts the kernel-mode
components to the remaining 1 GB.  [1]"

Alone and/or combine with $HistoryLength=0 and ClearSystemCache[],
this might solve your memory issue.

Best regards,
- Jean-Marc

[1] "A description of the 4 GB RAM Tuning feature and the Physical
Address Extension parameter",

[2] "Memory Management - Demystifying /3GB"