Mathematica 5,6,7 WeatherData, CityData

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94043] Mathematica 5,6,7 WeatherData, CityData
  • From: P_ter <petervansummeren at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 05:42:30 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I was impressed by an example for Mathematica 7.0, that is, the globe with the weather stations. So, I wanted to make something like that for the Netherlands.
First of all, have a look at www.maps.google.nl to compare that map with the map from the CountryData: islands are missing, a famous dike is missing, and a piece of land won from the sea is missing. So making a polygon for the Netherlands does not work.

How to find all the weather stations in the Netherlands with Mathematica? There is no method to determine if a weather station is in a certain country.
It is here that I stumbled also on holes in CityData: CityData[{All, "Overijssel", "Netherlands"}] shows that the city Deventer is in it.
But when I do: CityData[{"Deventer", "Netherlands"}, "Coordinates"],
I get: {Missing["NotAvailable"], Missing["NotAvailable"]}

It means that the missing coordinates make it difficult to combine the available CityData and WeatherData as to determine if a weather station is (near a city) in the Netherlands.

??
with friendly greetings,
P_ter