Re: Clever Tricky Solutions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94231] Re: Clever Tricky Solutions
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 06:24:20 -0500 (EST)

congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com wrote:
> OK Helen:
>
> I do vaguely remember something about this. Of course, your students
> can use SetOptions[Plot, PlotRange->All] or the like.

But the default for Plot (and PolarPlot, ParametricPlot, Plot3D, etc.)
is *already* PlotRange->Automatic. The problem is that by default Show
no longer combines the PlotRanges automatically, but instead simply
takes the PlotRange from the first graphic.

> But what is not clear to me is:
>
> - both V5.2 and V6 evaluate Options[Plot,PlotRange] to Automatic. So
> it seems that the default PlotRange default itself has *not* changed;
> just the meaning of the default [i.e. Automatic] is different now!?!

It is the behavior of Show that has changed, and since PlotRange is not
even an option for Show (despite the fact that one can set a PlotRange
within Show), there is no way to change this with SetOptions.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont