Re: Clever Tricky Solutions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94219] Re: Clever Tricky Solutions
  • From: congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 06:22:10 -0500 (EST)

Hello MathGroup:

Thanks to Helen, et.al. for helping me to understand more about this.

I submitted a summarizing post [to MathGroup] about this simple,
common problem. Maybe it can help a new user past this simple problem.

But reading Brett Champion's explanation about the behavioral change
baffles me. He explains that new options like Filling->Bottom
motivated the change to the PlotRange semantic.

Like another thread titled "...have you no shame?..." from 1999, it is
hard for me to understand how uber-CS guys at WRI cannot think harder
about how to keep the introduction of a new [and great] option from
making the behavior of the simplest command inexplicable to a
beginning user. I don't think so, but someone might reasonably think
there is no interest in "learning users".

At any rate, this is a broad problem [way beyond PlotRange] and the
people who read this list know much more about it than me.

Regards..

Roger Williams
Franklin Laboratory