Re: Parallel computing and JLink

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94292] Re: Parallel computing and JLink
  • From: mark mcclure <mcmcclur at unca.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:43:25 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 9, 6:54 am, Jens-Peer Kuska <ku... at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
wrote:

> that's really amazing ! Your parallel JLink program is
> only 8.15 times slower that a parallel C++ program. On
> a dual core machine ...

The original post was simply proof of concept, primarily in
response to another thread's claim that the new parallel
tools in V7 are incompatible with Mathematica's overall
design objectives.  Clearly, other languages could be used,
as I even pointed out in the OP.

> And the C++ program works without any parallel Mathematica
> stuff.

Of course, the parallel programming could be done over in
the other language; the point is that it doesn't have to be.

> I see that Java programs are still faster written than
> executed.

Yes, as all serious users of Mathematica know, development
time is a crucial issue as well.  Thank you for pointing
that out.

Mark McClure