Re: having V6 and V7 available?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94312] Re: having V6 and V7 available?
  • From: "sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:47:00 -0500 (EST)

I've had almost no problems on two machines. Once, my Mathematica 6 gave me a
message concerning the maximum of user licences reached. I guess there
must have been a faceless Mathematica 6 process running at that time, as it runs
without a hitch now. I also have Mathematica 5.2 on both machines and it still
works.

Cheers -- Sjoerd

 On Dec 9, 1:59 pm, "w... at wavebounce.com" <w... at wavebounce.com> wrote:
> I'm using a Windows XP box.
>
> When updating from V5 to V6 I tried to have both versions running but fai=
led. Something in the system made V5 unusable after V6 was installed. Now I=
'm considering the jump to V7 but I don't like taking the chance that some =
V6 programs will no longer be usable.

> Are most users able to have both installations working on the same machin=
e? If so, any tips on how to do it? I haven't run across any instructions f=
or this yet.

> Also, I hate to go through having to load all the addon packages, and ini=
t.m files, chase down and reload the palettes I use, etc. Any tips on how t=
o ease this transfer?