Re: having V6 and V7 available?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94294] Re: having V6 and V7 available?
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:43:46 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> Are most users able to have both installations working on the same machine?

I can only speak for myself, but yes, I have multiple versions installed
on my machine, since about version 4 at least. I have even minor (e.g.
6.0.1  and 6.0.2) versions installed in parallel with no problems so far...

> If so, any tips on how to do it? I haven't run across any instructions
for this yet.

If it is about minor versions, you would need to install to a specific
directory, for installing 7 in parallel to 6 I don't think that would
even be necessary, but I'm not sure, just check the current install
directory and what the installer picks as a default for the new version...

> Also, I hate to go through having to load all the addon packages,
> and init.m files, chase down and reload the palettes I use, etc.
> Any tips on how to ease this transfer?

If you put everything in a user or machine specific directory (check
$BaseDirectory and $UserBaseDirectory to find out which are the correct
pathes on your machine) they should be available for all installed
versions. Of course if some of your addons and init files use features
that are only available for some versions, you might need to take care
of that. It should not be too dificult to build a general init.m that
loads additional version specific init.m files and adds pathes for
version specific directories to $Path. The same could probably be done
for the Frontend-init.m, but that I have not tried and would need some
experimentation...

hth,

albert