Re: FiniteGroupData[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94340] Re: [mg94258] FiniteGroupData[]
  • From: "Eric W. Weisstein" <eww at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:52:02 -0500 (EST)

Mervin Hanson wrote:
> I just loaded Mathematica Version 7.0.0 on my Mac running OSX 10.4.11 because I was interested in using
> FiniteGroupData[]
> to find some things, in particular, the CharacterTable and MultiplicationTable of chemically interesting molecules.
> The command
> FiniteGroupData[]
> lists the names of point groups of interest but the command
> FiniteGroupData["C3v", "CharacterTable"]
> returns
> Missing["NotAvailable"]
>
> If I follow the link opened by
> FiniteGroupData["C3v", "Information"],

In particular, it returns

Hyperlink["http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CyclicGroup.html";]

> it leads to a notebook for Cylic Groups that is not compatible with version 7.0.0

In what way is the linked notebook on MathWorld not compatiable with V7?
  Works fine for me.  Did you remember to install the MathWorld Groups.m
package?

> The site wolfram.com contains a large collection of interconnected windows on Finite Groups. One of those sites hinted internet connectivity might be required. On my Mac Help>Internet Connectivity ... opens a window that allows me to test the connectivity and I am ok.
>
> Is this a bug or is it me?

It appears that a number of properties of FiniteGroupData are a bit
underpopulated in V7.0.0.  Almost certainly they will be further fleshed
out in the near future.  (As an aside, FiniteGroupData does not (at the
moment at least) require internet connectivity.)

Regards,
-Eric