Re: having V6 and V7 available?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94298] Re: [mg94265] having V6 and V7 available?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:44:30 -0500 (EST)

I often have both V6.0.3 and V7.0.0 open on my Windows XP machine
without any real difficulty (although I haven't tried letting
calculations run in the kernels from both at once).

I keep all add-ons that are not part of the actual Wolfram distribution
in a totally separate directory tree that becomes accessible to both
versions by my setting the appropriate environment variables in the OS.

To avoid license annoyances that otherwise seem to recur with this
configuration, as soon as I install a new version, I immediately move
its mathpass file -- which, due to the environment variables, go into
that add-ons tree of mine -- into the version's own tree, e.g., in
Wolfram Mathematica 7\Configuration\Licensing.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305