GraphicsGrid spacing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94338] GraphicsGrid spacing
  • From: janeywit <janeywit at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:51:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I have 2 box whisker plot images and I'd like to place one above the
other in a GraphicsColumn format.   This seems to work fine if the box
whisker plot images only contain a small number of plots, but mine
contain a lot of plots (i.e. they are very wide) and when I put them
in the GraphicsColumn mathematica places a huge amount of white space
around them.  I want to export the image to disk and at the moment it
is half whitespace.
I have tried every possible option of spacing and sizing that I can
think of and can't find a way to improve it.  Please can somebody help
me - otherwise I have to export the image and then alter it with Paint
or something which is really not what I want to do.
Many thanks in advance!

Here is an example of what I mean:

Needs["StatisticalPlots`"]
list1 = {1, 3, 4, 5, 3, 5, 6, 4, 6, 7, 4, 6, 5, 3, 2}
list2 = {7, 6, 7, 8, 6, 5, 7, 7, 6, 5, 4, 4, 6, 6, 4, 3}
bwp1 = BoxWhiskerPlot[list1, list2, PlotRange -> {Automatic, All}]
bwp2 = BoxWhiskerPlot[list1, list2, PlotRange -> {Automatic, {0, 5}}]

(*Put two small images in a column.... it works fine*)
GraphicsColumn[{bwp1, bwp2}]

(*Now make larger images to test with*)
bwp11 = BoxWhiskerPlot[list1, list2, list1, list2, list1, list2,
  list1, list2, list1, list2, list1, list2,
  PlotRange -> {Automatic, All}]
bwp22 = BoxWhiskerPlot[list1, list2, list1, list2, list1, list2,
  list1, list2, list1, list2, list1, list2,
  PlotRange -> {Automatic, {0, 5}}]

(*Now put the larger images in a column - a huge amount of whitespace
appears around the images*)
GraphicsColumn[{bwp11, bwp22}]