Re: User interface version 7: Alt Gr issue

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94349] Re: User interface version 7: Alt Gr issue
  • From: magma <maderri2 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 03:42:24 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 10, 5:12 am, "Bert Aerts (rm X)" <bert.aer... at advalvas.beX>
wrote:
> I have a Belgian keyboard. To enter [ or {, I have to press and hold
> the "Alt Gr" key. In Mathematica 6.0.3 this works as expected. However in
> version 7.0 I get a blue block plus the { or [ symbol. I have to remove
> these blue blocks manually. I really can't understand that Wolfram can
> release such a horrible interface!

The way Mathematica handles non- US or non-uk keyboards has always
annoyed me too.
The best "solution" is to buy a UK (or US) keyboard, next time you go
to England, or to order it online from a UK based vendor. Another
possibility for you could be to go to Holland and get there a US
keyboard (it should be easier) or check the Dutch keyboards which - I
think - have the [ and { in standard positions (no Alt GR).

hth