Re: Did I trash Mathematica installation? -- CleanSlate caveat

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94611] Re: Did I trash Mathematica installation? -- CleanSlate caveat
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 06:35:52 -0500 (EST)

On 12/16/08 at 2:33 AM, dmaxwarren at gmail.com (dr DanW) wrote:

>On Dec 15, 6:46 am, Bill Rowe <readn... at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>On 12/14/08 at 7:39 AM, Anthony.J.Mannu... at jpl.nasa.gov (amannuc1)
>>wrote:

>>>In exploring ways to clear variables in all unprotected contexts,
>>>I executed this command: ClearAll["*`*"]

>>I assume your goal here was to re-set things to be as they were
>>when you first started your session without actually quitting and
>>restarting Mathematica. If so, the package CleanSlate that can be
>>found at

>><http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/4718/>

>>is very useful for this purpose.

>The CleanSlate package is still part of the standard distribution of
>Mathematica, so you don't need to obtain it from MathSource.
>CleanSlate is in the /AddOns/ExtraPackages/Utilities folder.

I've used this utility for so long, I wasn't sure whether it was
part of the standard distribution or not.

>However, you need to use CleanSlate with care in version 6 and 7.
>CleanSlate can wipe out the Paclet information, which can cause bad
>things like a front end crash when you open the Help system.
>Loosing several hours of work because you opened a help file
>can be
>somewhat annoying.

<snip>

>I have requested a Paclet-safe version of CleanSlate from the
>Wolfram developers, but have not heard back.

Yes, there is an issue with the PacletManager. The problem is
for a reason unknown to me the PacletManager loads after all of
the commands in the init.m file execute. I solved this problem
by forcing the PacletManager to load before CleanSlate. I did
this by putting:

<<PacletManager`;
<<Utilities`CleanSlate`;
SetOptions[CleanSlate,Verbose->False];

in my init.m file as the last three lines.

Alternative ways to accomplish the same effect would be to use

CleanSlateExcept["PacletManager`"]

or to start every session with either <<CleanSlate` or Needs["CleanSlate`"]

I dislike these since they reduce the automation and ease of use
for CleanSlate