Re: Integrate`ImproperDump`

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94677] Re: Integrate`ImproperDump`
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 06:19:57 -0500 (EST)

Sundar Krishnan wrote:
> Hello,                    18th Dec, 2008
>

> In particular, I am now interested to know more about the following:
>
> When I was looking at some of the archive discussions, I came across :
> http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.math.symbolic/2007-07/msg00041.html
> where it states Integrate`ImproperDump` quite often - as in :
> In[365]:=
> f2 = Integrate`ImproperDump`Mellin[BesselJ[0, z]*BesselY[0, z], z]
>
> I am curious to understand the meaning of this term : Integrate`ImproperDump`
>
> - The symbol : `...` is used for Packages in Mathematica ; so, which package are wereferring to here, if any ?
> - Integrate syntax in Mathematica is usually followed by [ ... ] ; but, here, it is followed by `ImproperDump`. Could you pl explain.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sundar Krishnan
>
> ************************

Packages are normally placed in contexts - so if you have a package
MyCalc, its public parts will be placed in context MyCalc` and its
private parts will be placed in context MyCalc`Private` .

However, it is easy to create contexts in other ways - for example, just
executing

Christmas`x=0

will create the context Christmas` (assuming it did not exist already).

The main reason for contexts is to hide information that is not
generally useful - and that is what he system is doing in the case you
site.

It can be instructive to view all the contexts:

Contexts[]