Re: Re: Display of Alternatives Symbol in Notebooks in Version 7

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94752] Re: [mg94741] Re: Display of Alternatives Symbol in Notebooks in Version 7
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 06:58:14 -0500 (EST)

   On a linux installation, only the smallest font sizes (usually 6 and lower) show any problems with the "|" character at 100% magnification. At 125% magnification, size 6 is fine; at 300%, they're all fine. Never does the character go below the baseline, at least on my computer.

           Regards,
                         C.O.

On Monday 22 December 2008 03:17:22 sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com wrote:
> I see.
>
> For a corollary, try this: Style[# a | b, #] & /@ Range[4, 15]. You'll
> note that the problem exists for certain font sizes only: 7, 10, 13
> (at 100% mag). At 125% magnification there are problems at point sizes
> 8 & 10. At 150% the 4 point | gets below the baseline. At 75% pts 9&13
> are too small and the 8pt | has the problem of sticking below the
> baseline.
>
> Cheers -- Sjoerd
>
> On Dec 21, 12:53 pm, "David Park" <djmp... at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I found that the problem was that I was using a style sheet that had a fo=
> nt
> > size for Input of 13. Try evaluating this in a notebook:
> >
> > Style[a | b, 13]
> >
> > Also, this only gives a bad Alternatives character for me at 100%
> > magnification!
> >
> > But this used to work in Version 6.
> >
> > David Park
> > djmp... at comcast.nethttp://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/
> >
> > From: David Park [mailto:djmp... at comcast.net]
> >
> > Has anyone else noticed that in Version 7 the Alternatives symbol, i.e., =
> the
> > vertical bar above the backslash character on the keyboard, does not disp=
> lay
> > properly.
> >
> > On my Windows Vista system this now displays as a very short vertical bar=
> ,
> > about the size of a quote, in the notebook, although it works properly an=
> > displays properly in the  underlying expression.
> >
> > It still displays properly in Version 6.
> >
> > David Park
> >
> > djmp... at comcast.net
> >
> >  <http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark>http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

Curtis Osterhoudt