Re: Usages Messages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94924] Re: Usages Messages
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 05:56:17 -0500 (EST)

Szabolcs wrote:
> On Dec 26, 11:40 am, "David Park" <djmp... at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Now that we are at Version 7, there are probably ways to improve the entire
>> usage message mechanism.
>>
>> I don't see why a usage message is compelled to be a String. If 'Everything
>> is an Expression' then why can't a usage message be an expression? Maybe
>> usage messages should be decoupled from the general Messages mechanism. Then
>> a developer could write any kind of expressions, including Panel expressions
>> for usage message.
>>

> I'd just like to bring up one point:
>
> I think there is a value in being able to display usage messages in
> plain text.  Making them too complicated might destroy this.

I'd like to be able (without devious hacking) to customise messages so
that selected messages had properties such as:

Displaying in a box, with options to resume or abort the program.

Causing immediate program termination.

Causing some additional code to execute each time one was generated
(e.g. to count the frequency of one particular message).

Changing the number of times a message would output before a
General::stop message was generated.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk