Re: Mathematica 6.0.0 no graphics output on Windows XP

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85353] Re: Mathematica 6.0.0 no graphics output on Windows XP
  • From: beggars.banquet at gmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 04:43:57 -0500 (EST)

On 6 f=E9v, 05:39, Carl Woll <ca... at wolfram.com> wrote:
> Adam Weyhaupt wrote:
> >A colleague of mine has a fresh installation of Mathematica 6.0.0 on
> >a Windows XP machine.  The kernel seems to be running fine (2+2=4),
> >but graphics commands generate no output (only the line " -Graphics-
> >" (no quotes) is printed to the output).  If you switch to Version 5
> >graphics the graphics work fine (but of course are not rotatable,
> >etc.) I looked in the archive but saw nothing relevant.
>
> >I realize that 6.0.1 is available, but it will be a few days until he
> >can get it installed and we are curious if you have any thoughts on
> >this issue.
>
> >Thanks!
>
> >Adam
>
> Looks like the default output is OutputForm. Change it (from the menu
> item Edit | Preferences | Evaluation) to StandardForm or TraditionalForm.
>
> Carl Woll
> Wolfram Research

I got the same problem with Mathematica 6.0.1 under XP SP2, although
it only concerns 3d plots; only an empty box when I try to render the
graphics. I found a way to avoid this problem: just add PlotStyle ->
Directive[Opacity[0.x]] to your Plot3D options and it should be fine.
Set x to 99 to avoid losing quality, as soon as you put a value of 1,
same empty box. However, this fix is not that helpful as Opacity is
supposed to slow down the rendering. But this should do until you find
something else.