Re: How should I start with mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85387] Re: How should I start with mathematica?
  • From: dflatin at rcn.com
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 22:35:05 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 6, 1:23 am, Chengcheng <tntwc_... at yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> I'm new in mathematica, Is there any approach recommended to start with ma=
thematica?

While it has all been good advice so far, I think two more points
could be made. Firstly, try to find a problem that you would like to
solve using Mathematica. Follow the guidance you find in the
documentation and here in the MathGroup and try to make it work. You
will probably find a quick but clumsy solution first, and then as your
understanding of the system grows, you will see new paths. As far as I
can tell, this process never really stops. Second, find a book in a
subject area of interest that uses Mathematica to forward its
discussion. Michael Trott's books are excellent, but encyclopedic. For
me, I found Stan Wagon's book Mathematica in Action to be a great
introduction to the style and methodology of working with Mathematica.
The book is a couple of versions behind, but I understand a new
edition is in the works. The advantage of such a resource is that
rather than tackling the giant object that is all of Mathematica, it
takes a threaded approach showing a path from problem statement to
solution.

Finally, I would especially recommend David Park's resources both to
improve Mathematica's functionality, and as examples for how to best
use this tool.

Dan