Re: Table of Contents

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg85377] Re: Table of Contents
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 22:29:54 -0500 (EST)

Here is an example of a function that, when executed in the notebook
in question, will generate a set fo cells at the top of the notebook
that are hyperlinks to the section cells:

TOCForNotebook[] :=
  Module[{nbr, data, cells, nb},

   nb = EvaluationNotebook[];

   SetOptions[nb, System`CellID -> True];

   SelectionMove[nb, All, Notebook, AutoScroll -> False];
   NotebookWrite[nb, NotebookRead[nb]];

   NotebookFind[nb, "Section", All, CellStyle];
   nbr = NotebookRead[nb];
   data =
    nbr /. {Cell[x_, "Section", ___, z : (CellID -> w_), ___] :> {x,

   cells = Function[x,
         Button[TextCell[#[[1]], "Hyperlink"],
          NotebookFind[x, #[[2]], All, CellID],
          Appearance -> "Frameless"],
         "Text"]][nb] & /@ data;

   cells = First[ToBoxes[#]] & /@ cells;

   SelectionMove[EvaluationNotebook[], Before, Notebook,
    AutoScroll -> True];

   NotebookWrite[nb, cells];

So, first execute this code somewhere in your current Mathematica
session.  Then execute

within the notebook in question.  If your Section cells have any
formatting in them then this will not quite work as expected.  But it
gives a start to others that would wish to modify this.  The code
exposes several coding tricks that folks will perhaps find useful....

A WorkLife FrameWork
E x t e n d i n g MATHEMATICA's Reach...