Re: Table of Contents

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85377] Re: Table of Contents
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 22:29:54 -0500 (EST)

Here is an example of a function that, when executed in the notebook
in question, will generate a set fo cells at the top of the notebook
that are hyperlinks to the section cells:

ClearAll[TOCForNotebook];

TOCForNotebook[] :=
  Module[{nbr, data, cells, nb},

   nb = EvaluationNotebook[];

   SetOptions[nb, System`CellID -> True];

   SelectionMove[nb, All, Notebook, AutoScroll -> False];
   NotebookWrite[nb, NotebookRead[nb]];

   NotebookFind[nb, "Section", All, CellStyle];
   nbr = NotebookRead[nb];
   data =
    nbr /. {Cell[x_, "Section", ___, z : (CellID -> w_), ___] :> {x,
        w}};

   cells = Function[x,
        TextCell[
         Button[TextCell[#[[1]], "Hyperlink"],
          NotebookFind[x, #[[2]], All, CellID],
          Appearance -> "Frameless"],
         "Text"]][nb] & /@ data;

   cells = First[ToBoxes[#]] & /@ cells;

   SelectionMove[EvaluationNotebook[], Before, Notebook,
    AutoScroll -> True];

   NotebookWrite[nb, cells];

   ];

So, first execute this code somewhere in your current Mathematica
session.  Then execute

TOCForNotebook[]

within the notebook in question.  If your Section cells have any
formatting in them then this will not quite work as expected.  But it
gives a start to others that would wish to modify this.  The code
exposes several coding tricks that folks will perhaps find useful....

-David
A WorkLife FrameWork
E x t e n d i n g MATHEMATICA's Reach...
http://scientificarts.com/worklife/