Re: Re: How should I start with mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85456] Re: [mg85421] Re: How should I start with mathematica?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 06:09:04 -0500 (EST)

At one of the conferences, there was much criticism over the statement
that WRI would no longer offer a printed "The Mathematica Book" as of
version 6.  The WRI defense was that 3rd parties would fill the gap.

Well, 3rd parties haven't.  Maybe a bunch of books are about to appear.
  But so far it looks like WRI really dropped the ball on this.  Perhaps
WRI folks are so enamored with their "electronic/on-line only" mentality
that they just don't care about books any more.  A big mistake, IMHO.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305