Re: How should I start with mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85488] Re: How should I start with mathematica?
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 07:12:28 -0500 (EST)

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> At one of the conferences, there was much criticism over the statement
> that WRI would no longer offer a printed "The Mathematica Book" as of
> version 6.  The WRI defense was that 3rd parties would fill the gap.
>
> Well, 3rd parties haven't.  Maybe a bunch of books are about to appear.
>   But so far it looks like WRI really dropped the ball on this.  Perhaps
> WRI folks are so enamored with their "electronic/on-line only" mentality
> that they just don't care about books any more.  A big mistake, IMHO.
>
> AES wrote:
>> In other words, approaching a year after its introduction there is
>> _still_ no really good, really usable, really readable, really
>> straightforward introduction to all the amazing, but immensely complex
>> and confusing, old and especially new features of the new 6.0 version of
>> Mathematica available for either "newbies" or experienced users of the
>> program, either online or (especially) in any printed _or printable_
>> document(s).
>>
>> Given all the immense respect I have for the marvels of Mathematica
>> (and, as an  aside, its stiff retail price), I still cannot comprehend
>> how Wolfram can have let this happen.

Murray,

I completely agree - can you remember who it was who wrote a
"Mathematica book generator" and posted it here - if you can, I will add
a link to it on my site, because that is all that we seem to have for
the foreseeable future!

I think WRI's approach to documentation is a real mistake. Newbies must
find it almost impossible to get into the software. Also, some of the
new features of 6.0 - such as all the new capabilities of Import and
Export are almost buried and unusable because of poor, vague,
Microsoft-style documentation.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk