RE: Re: How should I start with mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85498] RE: [mg85488] Re: How should I start with mathematica?
  • From: Šerých Jakub <Serych at panska.cz>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 04:04:54 -0500 (EST)

> I completely agree - can you remember who it was who wrote a
> "Mathematica book generator" and posted it here - if you can,
> I will add a link to it on my site, because that is all that
> we seem to have for the foreseeable future!
>
> I think WRI's approach to documentation is a real mistake.
> Newbies must find it almost impossible to get into the
> software. Also, some of the new features of 6.0 - such as all
> the new capabilities of Import and Export are almost buried
> and unusable because of poor, vague, Microsoft-style documentation.
>
> David Bailey
> http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk

As a newbie I must say, that it is not so difficult to get into Mathematica
6. The free web seminars are great, I hope, that WRI is preparing the new
ones, as I have already attended most of the now offered.

But what I'm missing for my work is some structured list of functions. For
example when I'm looking for let's say string manipulation functions, I start
with writing word String and pressing F1 in notebook. Than I use "See also",
"More about" or "Tutorials" sections of the help and after while of clicking
I usualy find what I need.
But if I had such structured list of functions (may be printed on some bigger
format poster), I think this searching could be much faster.

Jakub